Wow, what a time and what a showing for Atlanticon 99 QRP Forum, the first ever large QRP gathering on the east coast! Over 125 QRPers gathered in Baltimore, MD on March 26 and 27 to hear presentations from honored and illustrious QRP authorities: KD1JV, N1PWU, K5FO, NN1G, NA5N, N2CX and W4RNL, while also sharing in the camaraderie and fun of mingling with QRP friends across the country. Another highlight of Atlanticon 99 was the Homebrew Construction Contest held in the hospitality suite on Saturday ... what an array for fine craftsmanship!
Well, much has been recapped about Atlanticon event (and we'll get all comments posted here pretty soon), but during the interim let this photo gallery suffice as your guide to the excitement, enthusiasm and electricity that was present during the weekend!
(PS: Please help me correct or fill in the missing information in the captions: people, callsigns, rigs, etc. I'm still extremely pooped from all the excitement and I did the best I could from memory :-)
Thanks so much to all for attending Atlanticon! We hope to make it even bigger and better next year!!72/73, George N2APB
===========================================Saturday's QRP Forum 31. Master of Ceremonies N2APB opening the Saturday QRP Forum
34. LB Cebik, W4RNL during his talk on HoHOPLS
37. Dave Benson, NN1G during his talk on 6-meter design considerations
39. Paul Harden, NA5N during his talk on Solar Disturbances Made Easy
40 & 41. Chuck Adams, K5FO during his delightfully informative talk on SPICE
42. Joe Everhart, N2CX during his talk on a PIC-based Power Meter
45 & 46. Steve "Melt Solder" Weber, KD1JV during his very resourceful talk on Troubleshooting techniques
36. Dean Marzocca, N2TNN drawing one of the 80+ door prizes in between speakers
38. Ron Polityka, WB3AAL accepting a surprise award from his growing EPA QRP Club
142 WB3AAL receives EPA QRP award
47. George Heron, N2APB accepting the NJ-QRP award for club member of the year (a total surprise, BTW)
1 & 32. Views of the audience during Saturday talks
28, 29 & 30. Some discussion in between the talks on SaturdayThe Homebrew Contest
12 & 13. Award winning Herring Aid 5 beautiful construction from Jim Giammanco, N5IB
14. Award winning W7ZOI Spectrum Analyzer by Jim, N8QOH
92. Prize Chairman N2SMH presenting a homebrew contest award (EMTECH NW80) to Jim, N8QOH for his W7ZOI Spectrum Analyzer contest entry
8. Preston Douglas, WJ2V award winning 2N2/40 homebrew rig
9. A closer look at Prestons "ugly" construction
65, 66 & 67. A proud Preston Douglas WJ2V showing off his award-winning 2N2/40 transceiver
95. N2SMH next awarding a homebrew contest prize to Preston Douglas for his 2N2/40 contest entry (certificate for a 44-Magnum when ready)3. Nice construction of a homebrew Sierra, during Homebrew Contest
4. N2EIs nice array of homebrew gear: SW30+, Fireball, KnightLites SMITE
5. W2GUMs "Thing-a-ma-Jig" a fixture to hold components under test
6. K3CHPs sturdy homebrew rig
7. N2CQs red Fireball
11. Nice job on a GQ40
15. Inside view of N2SMHs clean Z-Match note the large toroid
140 N2SMH "ZM-2 on steroids" z-match tuner
16. Inside view of the Red Hot 40 transceiver brought by K5FO
17. Inside view of a nicely homebrewed Pixie
18. A beautiful Super Tuner fabulous aircraft-quality switches on front panel
54. AA1MY checking out one of the Homebrew Contest entries
72. An interesting homebrew contest entry: a flexible "third hand" fixture.
73. WK8Gs QRPpaddles homebrew contest entry
74. Elmar, K2EL contest entry
75. W2GUMs homebrew contest entry: a self-contained QRP antenna container/winder
76. Danny Gingells QRP Canon speaker system (described in Jan QQ)
78 & 79. Homebrew contest entries from WV3J (i.e., the fluid homebrew!)
80. Paul Hardens 2N2/40 (partial) rig submitted for the contest fabulous construction!The Hospitality Suites 19. Coordinator N2TNN holding one of the bright orange Atlanticon shirts seemed like almost everyone had one on!
21. N2EI discussion the finer points of antenna design with W4RNL and WK8G
22 & 23. Paul Harden NA5N giving some solar flare listening advice to WJ2V and N7PWU
24 & 69. Seab, AA1MY showing off his famous antenna kite!
141 AA1MY monster kite
43. Seabs antenna-support kit at about 200 feet!
44. And the group of guys holding onto it!
25 & 63. N2CQ manning the NJ-QRP table lots of interest in the FB40 and Amp kits
26. N2CX discussing the finer points of his PICpm paper, presented on Saturday
27, 50 & 55. A very busy N2SMH at the registration table people couldnt get their Atlanticon Badges fast enough!
48, 53 & 58. There was a constant crowd around Dave Bensons SWL table displaying the prototype "DSW" board whatta work of art! (Dave says his DDS controlled xcvr is coming soon.)
129 NN1G Small Wonder Labs setup
137 NN1G SWL setup
49. W2DP proudly showing his new Atlanticon shirt
51, 60 & 64. Some discussion at the QRP hospitality suite
52. Gil of American QRP Radio Manufacturing Company constantly had tons of interest in his little red keys.
127 Gil Kost of American Keys
56. K3HW ardently describing some solar flare communication experience to NA5N
57. And an incredulous NA5N response! :-)
59. WA2UNN and N2JS take time out for a Kodak Moment
61. W2DP (left) and N2TNN
62. Part of the growing EPA QRP group
68. A photo op with NN1G, K3ASW, W4RNL and N2CX
70. WB8MCQ showing some interest in the FB40 kit
71. Steve Weber, KD1JV showing off his new DDS project
128 Steve KD1JV and his DDS VFO
134 Steve Weber KD1JV
77. Nick, son of N2TNN, getting some tips from Gil on one of his little red keys (Nick is preparing for his license, and provided some incredible assist all weekend long!)
91. Even junior W1REX has an Atlanticon shirt sized XXXS! And he's a Zombie, no less!
132 Rex Harper scores another Zomboids sale
133 Zomboids and prototyping boards122 Quality time in the hotel lobby 123 FB40 sales crew
126 More FB40 sales crew124 Friday night hospitality suite crowd shot
130 Another Friday nite hospitality suite crowd shot125 Deep technical discussion
131 Anybody need a neat shirt?135 SW40+ with KD1JV DDS VFO 136 Close-up of SWL FreqMite and rig 138 Zomboids shots 139 George, N2ABP "closing" a sale Group Photos 84. The Jersey QRP Club members in attendance at Atlanticon 82. The Eastern PA QRP Club in attendance at Atlanticon
86. The Maryland Milliwatters Club members in attendance at Atlanticon
85. The North Penn ARC members in attendance at Atlanticon (L-R): Joe W3PNL, Russ K3NLT, Ken KA3WMJ, and Paul N3YSI
89. The Long Island QRP Club members in attendance at Atlanticon
96. The honored and illustrious Atlanticon speakers (l-R): KD1JV, N1PWU, K5FO, NN1G, NA5N, N2CX and W4RNL thanks guys for a fabulous QRP Forum!!!!
97. The Atlanticon Staff these guys made it all happen (L-R): N2APB, N2TNN, Deans son Nick, N2SMH and N2CQ.
143 Atlanticon banner with signatures
144 Atlanticon banner